Saturday 5 January 2013

Long time, no blog ... what's up??

Well 2012 was an "interesting" year for me. It started off with financial struggles, as with so many of us at the moment, and it was a struggle to put food on the table at times, so game development started becoming a distant dream. I was using my work laptop to try and develop, but it was not great as the graphics card was very underpowered for any 3D engines out there. Also, being financially challenged, I began working all the hours I could to provide for my family. This left me with only a little time to spend with my family, nevermind time to develop.
This all changed in April as i decided "enough was enough", so left my employer and started as an IT Consultant. To become a consultant I had to incorporate an organisation so I decided to use the Kirkley Entertainment Inc. name (not a very "IT Consultant" name, but I was thinking of the future and gaming, not IT Consultancy). So, in April 2012 Kirkley Entertainment Inc. became a registered incorporation within Alberta, Canada!
All of a sudden, I now had different options availble to me. For example, anything game related turned into a Corporate expense rather than a personal one. Working extra hours was still an issue, but that changed in October when I started my 2nd contract: no overtime, no on-call and no operations support!
So in October I was able to buy some equipment (an ASUS G75VW as a development machine as it has an NVidia GEForce GTX 670M processor in it so it can handle just about anything you can throw at it raphics wise). With this equipment my distant dream of game development started to get closer and closer.
So what's been happening recently? Well, I downloaded the latest UDK from Unreal, Unity 4 and CryEngine 3 to run evaluations so I can see which engine would suit our needs the best. Once an engine has been decided upon, things can really start to happen.
So game development feels like a phoenix rising from the ashes of 2012 and getting strength in 2013! So let's get this party started again.

All the best for 2013,

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment